One of the best love stories ever told, Titanic, has reached the 20-year mark. The remarkable story started when a 100-year-old Rose Bukater (played by Kate Winslet), tells her story to her granddaughter about her experience on the Titanic ship that sank in 1912. Rose boarded the ship with the upper-class passengers, she was with her conniving snob fiancé and her cunning mother. Soon she met Jack Dawson, a shabby American boy who had won third-class tickets in a card game to go the Titanic that would take him back home to the USA. Rose didn’t want to marry her fiancé, she felt trapped and tried to commit suicide.
In the midst of her attempted escape from the world, she was found by Jack who convinced her not to take her own life. From that moment on, romance sparked and they became inseparable, fighting her family, and fiancé, up until the end, when the Titanic sank and Jack died due to the icy water and saving Rose’s life. Tragic!
Titanic has won 121 awards and has had 74 nominations. The sound track to the movie, My Heart Will Go On, was recorded by multi-award-winning Canadian singer, Celine Dion. The song went on to win a number of awards itself. The Director of Titanic was initially against the song, so was Celine Dion, but they managed to make it work and it played a huge part in making the movie a big success.
Could Jack have survived?
The theory was put to the test by many people, and it all comes down to one conclusion. Rose was on a floating wooden door, while Jack was being a gentleman giving her all the space while he was in the freezing water. The theory was tested and it was found out that if Rose had moved just a little to give Jack some room, they both would have survived the icy water. The popular television show MythBusters went as far as proving the theory on their show. James Cameron, the Director of Titanic admitted they both could have survived, but Jack just had to die.
Dive into All Slots Canada and play the Ariana Online Slot for some underwater fun that will reward you with some amazing treasures.
Where are the actors now?
The main actress Kate Winslet and the main actor Leonardo DiCaprio continued to set the bar high making remarkable movies and a bigger name for themselves. In 2008, the pair was reunited when they starred in the same movie, Revolutionary Road, as a couple. Leonardo starred in many brilliant movies and only in 2016 did he taste victory when he won an Oscar for best actor in the movie The Revenant.
Interesting facts about Titanic
- The movie features 2 hours and 40 minutes of scenes set in 1912. This is the exact amount of time the Titanic took to sink
- Matthew McConaughey, Chris O’Donnell, Billy Crudup, and Stephen Dorff were considered for the role of Jack Dawson
- It was the first movie to receive two Academy Award nominations for the same character
- Only the starboard half of the ship’s set was completed
- The ocean that the extras are jumping into is only 3 feet deep
- “I’m king of the world!” wasn’t actually in the script
- James Cameron, the director, reportedly spoke to over 150 extras, providing them with names and personal histories of actual Titanic passengers
- The old couple holding each other in bed as the ship sinks are based on a real couple
- Kate Winslet was one of the only actors who didn’t wear a wetsuit
- Kate Winslet’s dress was designed to look as good wet as it did dry
- James Cameron credits Kate Winslet with the idea of spitting in Cal’s face
- The scenes after the ship sank were filmed in a 350,000-gallon tank
- James Cameron admitted on MythBusters that there was totally enough room for Jack and Rose to both float safely
Titanic remains one of the best, yet tragic love stories ever told.
Related articles: Blocknustyer Slot Review: Jurassic World™